Be The Change – Join Us on Giving Tuesday
“Within a few weeks of having my baby I started to realize that something wasn’t right with me. I was not the happy go lucky woman I used to be, I was in a deep fog, I was exhausted, I was crying all the time and I started avoiding my friends.
I knew something was wrong, but I REALLY didn’t want to believe something was wrong with me. I kept telling myself that I loved Lucy so I couldn’t have postpartum depression. I just didn’t know that sleep deprivation, stress and hormonal changes after birth could have such a drastic impact on my brain chemistry.
I thought it was all my fault and that I had done something wrong. That I was a bad mother for experiencing this.” Lisa Abramson- Tedx
Stories like Lisa’s are the reality for 1 out 5 moms and 1 out of 10 postpartum dads. Stories like these have fueled the Postpartum Health Alliance’s (PHA) mission for the past 20+ years as we seek to bring awareness to Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Disorders (PMADs), reduce the stigma in seeking help, educate perinatal providers and allied professionals, and connect local San Diego families to resources and support through our website and warmline.
Standing on the shoulders of the warriors before us, 2019 looks to bring significant attention and change to postpartum families as a wave of momentum has begun in support and awareness of Maternal Mental Health. Especially significant changes are; The passing of California legislation that requires OBGYNS to screen for maternal depression, health insurers directed to create maternal mental health programs, hospitals to provide workers with Mental Health Training, and hospitals tasked with educating women and families about the signs of maternal mental health disorders and treatment options.
Clearly, now is the time for PHA to make giant strides in ensuring San Diego’s professionals and families have the finest awareness, education, and resources possible. HOWEVER, we can’t do this on our own. As a volunteer driven non-profit organization, PHA relies solely on public grants, fundraising, and personal donations to carry out this important service. This is where you come in!
Giving Tuesday is 11/27 and we have some critically important, yet easy ways for you to help us!
GIVE YOUR TALENT
- Are you a professional who works with pregnant or postpartum mothers? Help our organization by applying to join our ever-growing community of providers. Not only will 100% of your yearly membership go directly to PHA’s mission and services, you will also receive many personal benefits, such as, an entry in our online provider directory, an entry in our warmline referral directory, free access to PHA’s education workshops, access to a private professional listserv, and invitations to networking events.
- Has PHA impacted your life? If you are a PMAD survivor, a mom, or just a really awesome person who loves a mom, please consider donating to our cause. As a small, local non-profit we promise that even a $5 donation makes us do a happy dance.
- Want to help your favorite non-profit in a more hands-on way? Start a fundraiser for us! Never hosted a fundraiser? It’s as easy as telling a story about why our cause is important to you and letting your friends and family do the rest!
- Have a birthday coming up? Make a birthday wish with us in mind! Just last month one amazing San Diego mom raised over TWO THOUSAND dollars for PHA through her birthday campaign. While this example is exceptional, your people may surprise you!
SHOP FOR GOOD
- Do you shop online for holiday (or personal) presents? Raise money for PHA when you shop by using platforms like AmazonSmile or ShoppingGives. It’s as simple as setting up your account and selecting Postpartum Health Alliance as your non-profit.
SHARE YOUR PLATFORM
- Do you have a social media account? Give us a shout out! Follow us on Facebook and Instagram @postpartumhealthalliance. Share our name, share our post, tag us in your pictures and stories. You don’t need to have thousands of followers to have a big impact. Every time someone shares our name our mission spreads, and together we make a big impact by spreading awareness and chipping away at the stigma.
SHARE YOUR GIVING
- Take an UNselfie and share how you are giving back on #givingtuesday by posting your #UNselfie and tagging us @postpartumhealthalliance on your social media.
- Take advantage of givingtuesdays.org’s 2018 #MyGivingStory by sharing a story about why you give back and you could win up to $10,000 for PHA!
GIVE YOUR TIME
- Volunteer with us! Whether it’s a chance to give back or for the opportunity to develop new skills, consider joining our community by donating your time!
In the end, we realize you have a lot of options when it comes to donating your priceless time and hard-earned money. We are honored you are choosing to partner with us as we would not be able to do this important work without you. As cliché as it is, it truly takes a village and we are sincerely thankful you’ve chosen to be a part of ours.